“Censorship in any form is the enemy of creativity, since it cuts off the life blood of creativity: ideas.” - Allan Jenkins
Ah yes...once again, censorship has reared its ugly head here in Albuquerque. And as an artist (and I'm sure I'm not the only artist who can say this), I am no stranger to censorship. Who is the target of censorship this time? None other than your friendly, neighborhood sexuality resource center, Self Serve Toys.
For over three years now, Self Serve Toys has hosted Pornotopia. And each year has been met with controversy and censorship from the city of Albuquerque. After three years of this, Pornotopia worked extra hard for this year's (the fabulous 4th!) to be the very best and to follow restrictions set down to do it legally. After months of researching into the zoning laws and searching for a location, Self Serve was ready to hold Pornotopia at The Sunshine Theater. Being the diligent people that they are, the organizers of Pornotopia checked not once, not twice, but three times to make sure that the Sunshine Theater was properly zoned and suitable for the erotic film festival. It was not until the third time, one month prior to the festival opening, that the organizers were told that there was a "downtown corridor plan" that forbids adult entertainment downtown. Pornotopia is once again censored.
But fear not....Pornotopia is moving forward. The focus now moves to censorship and free speech. Want to Save Pornotopia? Here's how you can help:
- Join the "Save Pornotopia" page on Facebook
- Come to the "Save Pornotopia" press conference at the Guild Cinema, Saturday October 23 at 2:00 pm
- View the film "The People vs. Larry Flynt" October 23 & 24 at the Guild Cinema. Shows are at 2:30 and the cost is $7 general admission
- Attend the "Kicked Out" event at Self Serve Toys on November 4, 7 pm - 10 pm.
- Attend the "Pornotopia Censored: Cirque de Sex" at the Sunshine Theater, 8 pm. Tickets are $10-20, sliding scale.
- Keep checking the Self Serve Blog and the "Save Pornotopia" Facebook page for updates.